Senior Product Engineer | San Diego
The Senior Product Engineer is a key stakeholder who designs, develops, and maintains high-quality IIoT products; utilizing best practices and cutting edge technologies to deliver embeddable and stand-alone IIoT communications devices to a diverse customer base. The ideal candidate will have significant experience with developing plans for product/process improvement, taking products from prototype to contract manufacture, and managing supply chain quality and deliverables. This individual will help direct the product vision, manufacturing strategy, and commercialization of sensemetrics IIoT devices.
The Senior Product Engineer is focused on creating an ecosystem of new IIoT connectivity devices, and taking these products to market. You will be developing and testing new products and devices, but also thinking abstractly about how these products can be scaled and deployed to differing industries and market segments. The Senior Product Engineer possesses a firm understanding of product development and engineering best practices, mechanical engineering, and quality management. The Senior Product Engineer is collaborative, conducting and/or participating in design reviews to ensure technical quality. Additionally, this candidate will be working in conjunction with hardware design and software development team members to determine and ensure that correct product specifications and requirements are created and met. The Senior Product Engineer will strive to understand voice of the customer, and work closely with Senior Management for road-map development.
- Take the lead in design and development of new products and product families focused on machine-to-cloud communications
- Lead continual development & delivery of new products and product families, creating innovative development environments and products for IIoT applications
- Define product specifications, design products utilizing 3D CAD software, detail drawings for components and assemblies following best practices
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, regulatory compliance, and related specifications
- Lead manufacturing reviews to determine costs and identify the ability to produce requested products
- Apply knowledge to modularize specific designs, and identify opportunities for design standardization across multiple product lines
- Ensure production procedures efficiently utilize materials, methods and personnel
- Establish test procedures for quality assurance of finished product
- Work with external and internal resources to resolve product issues
- Work with external design and production resources to ensure quality design and performance
- Support product sales and customer success teams, and engage directly with local and global customers to ensure expectations are met
- Prepare technical documents for products and product catalogues
- Document test procedures and reports for development testing
- Seek out and develop industry standards and new technical developments for design and process advantages
- Maintain an overall product vision, making technical decisions, and keeping all stakeholders constantly informed and in alignment on product development deliverables
- Understand the voice of the customer, and work closely with Senior Management for road-map development
- Foster an inclusive environment that shares knowledge and engages all peers in the company strategic vision
- Identify bottlenecks in existing processes, and drive solutions
- Significantly contribute to innovation, continuous improvements and other organizational change
- Mentor, influence, and coach team members to enhance engineering skills and achieve shared goals
- Demonstrated experience leading new product introduction and product/process improvement
- Demonstrated experience in transitioning products from design, to prototype, to contract manufacture
- Ability to successfully execute and design complex products
- Experience working directly with customers to define their needs, identify solutions, and proactively identify potential design and functionality issues.
- Production-focused, hands-on problem solver
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Must be able to work effectively with others in a team environment, and work independently with limited supervision
- Strong design software skills, including experience with Solidworks and AutoCAD
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Mechanical/Product/Process Engineering preferred, or a related engineering or science discipline with a minimum of three (3) years practical experience; preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in with Lean Manufacturing or Six Sigma is a plus.
- Familiar with using Agile Development methodologies and Scrum
- Demonstrated strong people management and influencing skills with proven ability and enthusiasm to lead, motivate, inspire, develop, and encourage people, from C-level suite to individual contributors in multiple functional areas
- 99% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- Market competitive total compensation package, including meaningful equity ownership in the company
- Company 401k plan
sensemetrics is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, as sensemetrics does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by Federal, state, or local law.